It's not recommended to run the Starr apps through a VPN, what can happen is that the Starr apps doesn't update the posters or metadata or you can't add new movies/tv shows, it doesn't need to happen right away. but sooner or later it can and probably will happen.
To be clear it is not a matter if VPNs will cause issues with the Starr Apps, but when: image providers will block you and cloudflare is in front of most of Starr servers (updates, metadata, etc.) and liable to block you too
Just run VPN on the apps that actually need it, like your torrent client, and perhaps in some cases certain indexers because of region/ISP restriction.
Please check the indexers rules if you're allowed to use a VPN/Proxy to access their site, being that VPN services often use shared IP it could be recognized as account sharing.
This isn't the same as the tracker, the API/Website scraping happens on the actual site and some indexers don't allow VPN usage on their site.
In this guide i will try to explain how to setup Prowlarr to use your VPN from your torrent client.
If you use docker you need to enable enable privoxy in you torrent client so you can use it to passthrough traffic.
Please check your used docker image how to enable privoxy.
Click on the + sign and select
Add the following info
- Name of the Proxy in Prowlarr.
- The tags for this proxy. Proxies apply to all matching (same tag) indexers. If blank this proxy applies to all indexers.
- Host name to your torrent client.
- Used port for privoxy (default for privoxy: 8118).
- User name for your torrent client. (Not needed if using the default privoxy settings)
- Password for your torrent client. (Not needed if using the default privoxy settings)
- Test if your connection works.
- If it works click on
Select the indexer that you want to use with Privoxy
Scroll down to the bottom and add the tag you've set up earlier at step 2.
Now the indexer should be using the VPN of your torrent client.
Questions or Suggestions?
If you have questions or suggestions click the chat badge to join the Discord Support Channel where you can ask your questions directly and get live support.